WEST BENGAL SOCIETIES REGISTRATION ACT
MEMORANDUM OF ASSOCIATION
ADAMAS UNIVERSITY ALUMNI FOUNDATION(INDIA)
- Name of the society shall be: Adamas University Alumni Foundation(India).
- The Registration office of the society shall be situated at: “Adamas University”, Barasat – Barackpore Rd, 24 Parganas North, Jagannathpur, Kolkata, West Bengal -700126.
- The objects for which the society is established are
- To acquire, establish, start, aid, run, maintain or manage educational institutes, libraries for the benefit of the public.
- To arrange and organize lectures, debates, discussions, seminars & excursions for the diffusion of knowledge.
- To publish or cause to be published useful literatures, magazines, periodicals etc without profit motive.
- To study, cultivate and demonstrate the art of music and dancing.
- To promote and encourage advancement of literary, cultural, political, religious & scientific education.
- To help the needy students of all communities for their studies.
- To help the aged, sick, helpless and indigent persons.
- To work for the happiness of the down trodden needy people for their primary needs such as food, cloths, education and shelter etc.
- To impart and develop social awareness among the illiterate women and men by organizing awareness camp from time to time.
- To organize an ambulance for rendering free service to the needy patients.
- To establish and maintain basic and adult education centre to remove the illiteracy.
- To arrange and organize dead body carrier for rendering free service to help the needy people of the society.
- To open charitable dispensaries, first aid centre, blood donation camp from time to time and to generate awareness amongst people suffering from Thalassemia, Cancer and HIV Aids disease etc.
- To arrange and organize education on computer both in theoretical and practical classes among the needy students of the society without profit motive.
- To render relief to the suffering in time of famine, flood, drought, earthquake and other natural calamities.
- To educate the people about pollution and to arrange plantation of trees in the locality to make the world green.
- To arrange and organize old age – home to help the needy people of the society without profit motive.
- To arrange for medical treatment to the Deaf & Dumb and handicapped persons by rendering qualified doctors, medicines and other allied article free of cost.
- To help the people in marriage, funeral and cremation of the dead body.
- To help to organize self- help group based programme for augmentation of the livelihood opportunities of the people at the grass root level as being beneficial to the public or to a section of public.
- And to do all such other work for the benefit and improvement of social and economical standard of the people at large.
- The Miscellaneous Purpose/Object of the Society shall be:
- to revive and restore ancient culture;
- to organize physical culture, indoor and outdoor games;
- to maintain libraries and reading rooms;
- to help the distressed;
- to help to promote to establish adult education centre;
- to support and promote cultural activities through the university appreciated medium of folk art, music, theatre, film, printing and literature;
- to open charitable dispensaries;
- to preserve, propagate and perpetuate the performing arts, music, dance and drama;
- to organize seminars and festivals, national and international for the understanding and dissemination of Indian Music in India and abroad;
- to render relief to the suffering in times of famine, flood, drought, earthquake and other natural calamities;
- to fund university faculty to pursue research;
- to give scholarships for needy students in the University;
- to develop the community around the University campus in Barasat, Kolkata
- to mentor and help pregnant ladies with nutritious food, health, care, education for kids etc.
The functions and objects of the society shall always remain restricted within the meaning of the section 4 (2) of the West Bengal Society Registration Act 1961 irrespective of any object mentioned in the present document in agreement or opposed to the said section.
Before commencing the activities of the Society necessary approval/permission will be obtained from the Government, or other appropriate/concerned authorities as and when required.
The income and properties of the society whatsoever derived or obtained shall be applied solely towards the promotion of the object of the society and no portion- thereof shall be paid to or divided amongst any of its members by way of profits.
- The name, address and description of the members of the Governing Body:
|Name & Address||Description|
We, the several persons whose names, addresses and occupation are hereunto subscribed are desirous of being formed into an association in pursuance of this memorandum of association.
Witness to the above Signatures:
Dated the_________ day of ________________, 2019.
THE WEST BENGAL SOCIETIES REGISTRATION ACT, 1961
REGULATIONS OF ADAMAS UNIVERSITY ALUMNI
Unless the context otherwise requires words and expressions contained in these Regulations shall bear the same meaning as in the West Bengal Societies Registration Act, 1961, or any statutory modification thereof.
- The signatories to the Memorandum of Associations & the office bearers of the Governing Body of the Society shall be first members of the Society.
- The Governing Body may admit to membership any person of any caste, creed or sex who has attained the age of 18 years and agreed in writing to be bound by the Memorandum of Association and regulations of the Society and who in the opinion of the Governing Body will be interested in advancement of the objects of the society.
- The Governing Body will include the students who has completed a course under Adamas University under the University curriculum
Be it noted here that the power to admit members is the sole and absolute power of the Governing Body and the Governing Body may refuse to admit any person as a member without assigning any reason therefore.
- Type of Members :
- Honorary Members: Any person, whose connection with the society is deemed to be useful, may with the consent of such person be elected as Honorary member of the society. Such members shall not, however, be eligible to be member of the Governing Body nor shall be entitled to vote in any meeting.
- Ordinary Member : Any person, qualified to be a member and paying prescribed ordinary membership fee may be admitted as ordinary members of the Society.
- Cessation of Membership :
Any member shall cease to be a member –
- on the acceptance of his resignation from membership,
- on his becoming insane or insolvent,
- on his conviction of any offence in connection with the formation, promotion, management or conduct of affairs of society or a body corporate or of any offence involving moral turpitude.
- Register of Members :
The Society shall maintain a Register of members containing the names, addresses and their occupations, the date of admission and of cessation of membership. The Register will be kept open for inspection of the members of society on requisition. All entries required to be made therein shall be entered within a period of 15 days.
- Rights and Obligations of Members :
Any ordinary members of the Society has the right
- to elect and to be elected in any election of the Society;
- to submit suggestion for discussion to the Governing Body and sub-committee on any matter relating to society;
- to inspect the accounts and the proceedings of the meetings of the society on appointment with the secretary;
- to pay his subscription within the prescribed time. Defaulting members shall not be allowed to take part or vote in a meeting. Members shall have one vote each.
- Expulsion & Removal :
Frequent actions of any member, if found by the Governing Body is detrimental to the interest and is in violation of the rules and regulations of the Society, he may be after due enquiry, censured, suspended or expelled from the membership by the Governing Body. In that case the Governing Body shall first serve the member concerned with a show cause showing therein the charges framed and ask him to submit his statement of defence within a month. On receipt of the explanation, the Governing Body shall have the power to take a suitable action against the delinquent member after allowing him to defend his case. If no reply to the show cause notice is received within a month, the Governing Body may take an ex-parte decision.For any act of expulsion or termination no such member shall be entitled to prefer any claim for compensation or damage even if proved on subsequent date that such act of expulsion or termination was wrongful and/or unlawful.
- Composition, election/appointment, registration/removal, terms of office :
There shall be a Governing Body consisting of not less than 7 members. The Office bearers of the Governing Body Shall comprise of President, Vice President, Secretary, Joint Secretary, Asstt. Secretary, Treasurer and other Committee members. The Office bearers & other Committee member shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting.
The resignation and removal of the Governing Body members shall be dealt with as has been prescribed as in the case of other members noted herein before.
The term of office of the Governing Body Shall ordinarily be one year, unless it is dissolved/terminated early under unforeseen circumstances. After election, the old Governing Body will continue to function till the new Body takes over charge which shall under no circumstances be more than 30 days from the date of election.
A meeting of Governing Body shall be held at least once in three months at such place, date and time, as the president or the Secretary may determine. Any four members of the Governing Body may requisition the meeting and the Secretary shall summon the same within seven days and failing which the president on the request of the requisitionists may do so provided no business other than specified in the notice shall be transacted at such meeting.
- Notice and quorum
7 days’ notice of the meeting specifying the place, time and the general nature of business to be transacted shall be given to every member of the Governing Body. Emergency meeting may be called on 24 hours notice. 1/3rd members personally present shall constitute a quorum for the meeting and if a quorum is not present within 30 minutes of the time, members present shall adjourn the meeting.
- Procedure of the meeting
The president or in his absence the Vice- President shall preside over all meetings of the Governing Body and in their absence members present shall elect a Chairman of the meeting. All questions before the meeting will be decided by a majority of votes, each members having one vote. The president or the Chairman shall have a second or casting vote in addition to his own vote in case of equality of votes.
- Power and Duties of the Governing Body
- The Governing Body shall have general power of supervision and conduct over all the affairs of the society and in particular shall discharge the following duties:
- To appoint sub-committee with such power and duties as may be considered necessary or expedient.
- To accept donation, gift, subscription, movable or immovable property for the objects of society.
- To sell, lease, mortgage or otherwise dispose of and deal with all or any part of the property of the society.
- To keep proper accounts of the society and to open bank account in the name of the society in one or more bank.
- To co-opt not more than two members to the Governing Body.
- To appoint a person or persons on payment to assist the Secretary/Treasurer in the maintenance of account, etc.
- To conduct any other business not specified herein for the attainment of the object of the society provided such business is not repugnant to such object.
- Society can acquire property both movable and immovable property for the use of the Society.
SAFE CUSTODY OF PROPERTIES
- The Governing Body shall be responsible for the safe custody of the funds, properties and assets of the society.
- The funds of the society shall be kept in banks / post offices/ Mutual Funds and be invested in any securities specified under Sec.20 of the Indian Trust Act,1882.
BOOKS OF ACCOUNT & INSPECTION
The books of account and other statutory books shall be kept at the registered office and shall be open to inspection of the members at such time and place as the Governing Body directs on a written request made by any member.
The accounting year of the Society shall be from 1st day of April of each year to 31st day of March of the following year.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING:
Notice: The Secretary shall annually call the Annual General Meeting as per provisions of West Bengal Societies Registration Act 1961 giving at least 14 day’s notice to all members. The notice shall contain the place, date, day and time of the meeting.
Agenda: The business to be transacted at the Annual General Meeting shall be :
(a) to confirm the minutes of the last Annual General Meeting and of special general meeting if any,
(b) to adopt with or without modification the report of the working of the Society for the previous year;
(c) to pass audited accounts of the Society for the previous year ended;
(d) to appoint qualified Auditor or Auditors;
(e) to transact such business as may be fixed by the Governing Body;
(f) to transact such other business as may be brought forward by giving 14 days previous notice from any member;
(g) to conduct general election.
Quorum of the Meeting : 1/3rd members personally present at the commencement of the meeting shall constitute the quorum.
Manner and Method of Voting : The Chairman of the meeting shall decide the manner and method of voting at the outset of the meeting.
SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING :
A Special General Meeting may be convened by the Governing Body at any time in view of urgency of the matter. At least 7 days notice shall be given to every member for Special General Meeting.
Members may request the Governing Body for Special General Meeting by placing a requisition signed by 2/3rd of total members. In that case the Governing Body shall convene a Special General Meeting within a month from the receipt of such notice. In default by the Governing Body, the requisitionists shall hold such meeting provided no business other than those specified in the notice shall be transacted.
EXTRA-ORDINARY GENERAL MEETING :
The Governing Body may direct to convene an Extra-Ordinary General Meeting for consideration of addition, alteration or amendment of the memorandum/regulations, of the Society. 7 days’ notice along with the proposed draft of change shall be sent to members before the meeting. The resolution for change, amendment etc. of the Memorandum and Regulations be carried out if accepted by three fourths of the members present at the meeting.
DUTIES OF THE OFFICE BEARERS
President : He shall (a) preside over all meetings of the Society; (b) take all disciplinary actions such as removals, dismissals etc., in consultation with the Governing Body; (c) advise the Secretary in any matter requiring urgent attention; (d) call emergency meeting.
Vice- President : In the absence of the President, the Vice-President shall perform all the duties of the President.
Secretary : He shall (a) convene all meetings of the Society; (b) maintain minute books of all meetings ; (c) issue general circulars and notices; (d) receive all applications for membership which shall be placed before the Governing Body; (e) sign on behalf of the Society all receipts for all sums received as subscriptions etc.; (f) sign and give pay order on all bills for payments ; (g) get the accounts of the Society audited by a Chartered Accountant; (h) ensure compliance with statutory requirements; (i) transact all other business subject to the direction of the Governing Body.
Joint Secretary : In the absence of the Secretary, the Joint Secretary shall perform all the duties of the Secretary..
Treasurer : He shall (a) collect and receive all sorts of subscriptions, donations and deposit of money and grant receipts thereof ; (b) maintain and keep cash book and such other accounts as are necessary; (c) operate bank account jointly either with the Secretary or the President; (d) prepare the budget in consultation with the Secretary for consideration of the Governing Body.
MAINTENANCE AND AUDIT OF ACCOUNTS
The Society shall maintain books of accounts as required under Section 15(1) (a), (b) of the Act. The accounts shall be audited by a duly qualified auditor as stated in Section 15 (2) of the Act.
SUIT & LEGAL PROCEEDINGS
All suits and legal proceedings by or against the Society shall be in the name of Secretary or such person as shall be appointed by the Committee.
ALTERATION OF MEMORANDUM & REGULATIONS
The Memorandum and Regulations may be altered, modified, rescinded or added to by Special Resolutions passed by the 3/4th members in a General Meeting called for the purpose.
The Governing Body shall have powers to make, alter, modify or rescind such regulations as may be considered necessary in the interest of smooth functioning of the Society.
DISSOLUTION OF SOCIETY
Subject to the provisions of Sections 24 and 27 of the West Bengal Societies Registration Act, 1961 or any Statutory modifications thereof, the Society may be dissolved by a resolution to that effect passed by 3/4th members of the Society at a General Meeting. The said meeting shall also decide the manner of disbursement of the funds and assets of the Association, if any, after dissolution.
After dissolution the Funds and Assets of the Society will be transferred to a Society duly registered having same aims and objectives.
We, the undersigned members of the Governing Body of the Society, do hereby, certify that the above is a true copy of the Regulations of Society.
Signature of three members of the Governing Body :
Dated ______ day of ______________________ 2019.